In June 2021, Muslim Aid transformed its education programme from the one-to-one child sponsorship model (Rainbow Family) transitioning to a Community-Based Model (CBM) for its education projects. The CBM is a holistic approach and is flexible to the context of the community. It is tailored to tackle the problems a particular community is facing. This is possible through engagement with the local communities and key stakeholders – such as local government, village leaders, teachers, NGOs and CBOs – to better understand community needs and develop sustainable and long-term solutions. Muslim Aid continues to raise funds for its education programme from existing and new donors through its child sponsorship marketing appeal, by sharing case studies of children and families supported by the programme in chosen countries. In 1st phase duration was July 2021 to June 2022, Muslim Aid has implemented CBM Project at 5 schools (3 primaries and 2 secondaries) in Sadar Upazila under Kurigram district through the national partner organization ESDO. On the other hand, the second phase of the CBM project, duration is September 2022 to June 2023 which is being implemented by the same national partner in Sadar Upazila of Kurigram district. The current phase of the CBM project is being implemented in 5 schools while 1 is non-government primary school and 4 is secondary schools. The total direct beneficiary of the CBM II is 3427 and indirect beneficiary is 10483.
BRID is conducting a study on CBM-2 project of ESDO in Kurigram district to assess the baseline values of indicators for intended objective and result.
The specific objectives of this study are to:
- Assess the benchmarks for project’s intended outcomes, against a set of indicators as listed in the annexure 1.
- Assess the achievement against targets for the project period.
- Evaluate the institutional capacity and gaps to minimize the quality education in given schools.
- Identify key contextual factors and understanding of the situation, e.g., WASH facility, safe environment, household livelihood, Covid-19 in intervention areas.
- Propose way forward and recommendations for the project.
The study should propose way forward and recommendations according to the following questions:
- What is the current situation of education system and services?
- What were the factors related to increase dropout rate of children?
- What were the barriers that constraint vulnerable children and families to access education?
- What additional services and supports were required to ensure quality education in rural level?
- Were the project activities being feasible or require any adjustment?
- What were the priority issues in-terms of the sustainability by involving community, families and school management committee?